> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > some pros & cons
Login | Register

some pros & cons

Posted by bc on February 11th, 2000 12:16 AM
In reply to metal vs. wooden studs by gary on February 9th, 2000 11:32 AM [Go to top of thread]

I've looked at metal for a basement, reviewed an article in family handyman (about a year ago or so), and decided on wood.

Some Metal Pro's-Fireproof, It screws together, can go up quickly, lightweight, holes predrilled for sheathed electrical cable, uses metal framed doors (commercial), etc.

Some Metal Con's-Can rust, Screw heads stick out a little, cost can be more, electricians are finding that the sheathed electrical cable holes need a round spacer to avoid chaffing and cutting of wire, metal framed doors are more expensive, won't hold weight, won't support door, closet, and window headers without wood help, need to attach wood blocks to it for nailing of shelves, piping, and other items, need screwable electric boxes or else attach wood blocks for nailable boxes, regular 14.5" batt insulation doesn't fit into the channels as tight as wood, the metal doesn't insulate like wood and in fact allows moisture to condense easier, need wood studs to attach a perpendicular wall, need a chop saw to cut it, etc.

There are more for each but that is all I can think of now. It probably boils down to personal choice. My basement has enough walls, doors, closets, shelves, and other stuff that I would have spent forever and it would have been harder and more expensive to add wood reinforcing to the studs. Maybe BobF can enlighten us with some specifics and change my mind. Good luck.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC