> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Power tool ideas
Login | Register

Some Power tool ideas

Posted by Bruce M on January 9th, 1998 08:29 PM
In reply to Okay, so this is a little lame, but I need to know. by Brian Tolman on January 9th, 1998 01:43 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Brian:

Lisa offers wonderful insight! Memories of my daughter at a young age (now 24 and in graduate school). She calls every so often and asks my advice on restoring an old chest of drawers or hanging a door. I can't tell you how proud I am that my little pumpkin picked up some of her daddy's instruction when she helped me on the multitude of building projects we had going on many years ago. A small piece of advice: patience and hugs. She's gotta have fun and be rewarded for her work.

But, on to your question.

First, get quality tools. Norm Abrams once said that cheap tools are expensive....he's right! It took me 3 cheap Craftsman power saws (all bought on sale) before I figured out that I could have bought a quality saw for less money than the 3 cheapies!

The table saw is your most important tool. The second, believe it or not, is a cordless drill/screwdriver. Next, is a power handsaw, then a random orbital sander, then a 110v 3/8" drill, then a 1/4" router, then a jigsaw and then a belt sander. Depending on your future building interests (home improvement, cabinets, toys), following the above, you will want to consider adding a plate (bisquit) joiner, 14" bandsaw, 1/2" drill, 6" grinder, reciprocating saw, palm sander, 10" power miter box saw and a roto hammer. Of course, you will also need a good selection of hand tools...clamps, chisels, hammers, tapes, levels, pliers, etc, etc.

For your power tools, I suggest you stick with names like Porter-Cable, Milwaulkee, DeWalt, Hitachi, Bosch and Delta. I have found Home Depot to have the best prices...even over mail order. Avoid Black and Decker, Skil (except maybe their worm drive saw) and Craftsman...however tempting their 'sales' price might be.

I wish you and your daughter the very best on your building projects. I'm sure that you will find this very rewarding, fun and a great family builder!

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC