> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some more info...
Login | Register

Some more info...

Posted by Daren Orlove on October 5th, 2001 02:25 PM
In reply to New house 16months old Just started to get 6" of water in basement by Daren Orlove on October 5th, 2001 11:17 AM [Go to top of thread]

We had the sewer line checked and it was okay. It only happens when there is at least an 1 1/2 of rain. The first time it happened was when we got 3" in an hour. The second time it was raining for 6 1/2 hrs fairly heavy to moderate. The water is a dirty (as in dirt particles that sink to the bottom) and itself does not have any sewer odor to it. The basement has an ejector pump that ties into the only floor drain, for the roughed in plumbing for the bathroom. My father-in-law is a plumber and with him and the village engineers, seem to think the storm sewer wich has a separation where the manhole meets the pipe could be causing a sudden rush of water into the house tile system. This could then overrun the sump pump. We had also found out that the tile inlet to the sump pit has a separtion causing the tile water to go under the basement floor. PermaSeal had ran two garden hoses directly into our tile system through the window well drain, approx 30' from the sump pit and after 6 1/2 hrs of running not a trickle of water came to the inlet. He concluded that the tile system is not working properly or at all. I went to my brothers house in the same subdivision and ran the same test with one hose. Within ten minutes there was a steady flow of water entering his sump pit. We had just found out this info a little while ago. As we need to get to the bottom of it. IF the ejector pump was running strong to get the water out with the sump pump, if it were a sewer problem, how could the ejector pump pump out the water? Also the sewer is above ground and is more likley to back flow through the kitchen sink or first floor tiolet than force it's way through the ejector pump check valve. We are all stumped as to the sewer smell if it is not comming from the sewer line, and comming in from the ground. Sorry to not have had this info sooner.

Daren & Kristi Orlove

p.s. we also have a radon vent from the basement floor to the roof.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC