> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some More Help ...
Login | Register

Some More Help ...

Posted by Jay J on July 21st, 1999 08:58 AM
In reply to Pocket doors - general by Scott Cathey on July 20th, 1999 09:26 PM [Go to top of thread]

About 4 or 5 years ago, I had a solid, glass-paneled pocket door installed between our family room and our living room. If I'm not mistaken, it's a Stanley. I could be wrong but what you can do is go to my favorite WEB Search Engine, AltaVista WEB Search and enter in the following ('+' and " symbols too): +"pocket door" & +"hardware" & +"solid" and press the Search button. You'll get 'hits' for sites that talk about ALL of the 3 items you searched for. Granted, some of them are cabinet hardware sites, door sites, hardware only sites, etc., etc. but don't let that prevent you from calling or e-mailing them for info. If you find a door you want, get the make, model, and serial # (as they say) and see if one of the companies has the hardware you want. Or, see if one of the companies can reference you to someone else. It's called, Networking!

I happened to check my hardware and it's all solid. The reason I think it's a Stanley is because I also put in 10 sets of bi-fold doors. BUT, they came with plastic hardware! I told the True Value store rep/owner that I'd like to get metal hardware. He said that Stanley makes metal hardware. He took care of the rest for me. I was surprised that the tracking and the pins cost me $70. I thought it was a deal because I know the won't wear out.

Yes, pocket doors do put a lot of stress on the tracks. For us, we rarely use it so it mostly 'hangs' inside the wall. And yes, by just hanging, it's wearing the track. The type of door I have allows me to simply remove the pocket moulding to get inside if I need to do anything. Plus, it has quick release wheels for easy removal w/o having to break open the wall. When you are shopping for whatever you need, make sure you ask for this type of door/hardware.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC