> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some More Help ...
Login | Register

Some More Help ...

Posted by Jay J on April 13th, 1999 03:44 PM
In reply to Take your pick. by KF on April 13th, 1999 01:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

I'm sure you know the obvious considerations here in determining dry well size. 1) Type of soil BELOW your dry well, and 2) what's filling it (your water source). From your post, I understand you don't care about what one would use a dry well for but it matters to me in that I don't know of any real way to size it unless you can calculate the worst-case water volume and the leach rate at the bottom of the well. Hence, a general rule of thumb follows ...

If you're using a dry well to receive sump pump water, I'd go with the minimum size. 3' x 3' x 3'. But, if you live in the state of Washington and you're using a well for gutters, I'd go 3' x 3' x 6'. In short, the minimum size I know of is 3' x 3' x 3'. (You could have actually helped yourself out more if you had replied with what you're actually doing, so w/o still knowing that, you SOL for a formula should there be one for sump pumps, gutters, and/or a french drains.)

In any event, here is a link with a URL that describes how to properly build the 'minimum' sized dry well. Drainage. My best to ya and FWIW, if you want someone's free help, please answer the gentleman's (gentlewoman's) question direct. This way, you'll get the BEST answer and not a general one like mine. (That's coming from someone who's been on BOTH ends of a post!)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

• Oops by KF  4/13/99 03:58 PM

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC