> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Insight ...
Login | Register

Some Insight ...

Posted by Jay J on September 19th, 2000 08:00 AM
In reply to pellet stoves by ALBERT CATER on September 19th, 2000 05:58 AM [Go to top of thread]

One of the best things you can do is shop around. Ask questions about playing one type of heating off of another. So by the time you're finished shopping, you're much, MUCH more infomed.

My folks, for example, have a coal stove. It's very efficient but as you might expect it's dirty (in a lot of respects.) They, too, use it to take the chill off the house. They have a ranch so their unit has fans on it (to help push the air around the rancher.) And to boot, the coal is cheap. Not that I'm trying to 'justify' this particular type of heating but fortunately, they're living on a 1.5 acre lot, and the surrounding homes, apparently, all use wood. Like I said, there's some work in maintaining this type of heating but the trade-off is the cost of the fuel. This is why I suggest you investigate a number of heating methods and play them off of each other to see what's best for you. Heck, a propane gas unit may be what you need/want ...

Anyways, these different stoves have different features. There are automatic feeders, fans, fireplace inserts, stand-alone units (which I feel is the best 'type' of unit), and so on. I do have to tell you that no matter what you buy, your home will be a lot dryer. If you have plants or a lot of 'good wood' in your furniture and stuff, you'll want to be sure you have a humidifier. Either that, or be sure to leave a window or 2 open a little to allow moisture in from the outside. I'm sure there's more to say but your question, to me, unfortunately is very broad.

I do wish you well. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC