> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > some info...
Login | Register

some info...

Posted by jb on December 11th, 2001 09:49 AM
In reply to Cutting acrylic by Dan on December 10th, 2001 06:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

I have had good luck using a thin kerf, 80 tooth, carbide tipped, 10 inch table saw blade. Basically, the more teeth and the thinner the kerf the better. Also, you need to move it through the saw very slowly and use eye protection and either a dust mask with outside ventilation or a good ventilator because it gives off some funky fumes when you cut it.

You can do some fun stuff with a heat gun! You can smooth corners and edges with progressively finer sand paper. You can then buff it with compound and wheel to get clear edges.

I have done a lot of work with plexi/acrylic. If you are drilling it definitely get the special drill bits as wood ones will crack it. See this page:

I have had good luck with them ordering small lots of extruded tubing, etc. along with their acrylic cements of various types and thicknesses. Leave the paper or plastic coating on your 1/4" sheets as long as possible b/c it helps prevent scratching. Otherwise cover your tools with masking tape and keep clean.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC