> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Info ...
Login | Register

Some Info ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on October 24th, 2000 01:46 PM
In reply to Stripper for Bead Board with Lead Paint???? by sean on October 23rd, 2000 02:12 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Sean,

This is certainly NOT an area of expertise for me. However, I've done some WEB searching and have some tid-bits of info. It's not really organized in any special way so just treat it as 'info' to keep in mind.

Stripping lead-based paint -- most agree how NOT to do it, few agree how TO do it.


Burn off paint with a torch or high temperature heat gun; releases toxic fumes.
Sand or dry scrape the paint; releases large amounts of dust.
Chemically strip with methylene chloride; leaves a lead residue (and stripper is toxic).
Grit blast; leaves a dust residue.

MAYBE: (depending on precautions and training of worker)

Heat gun to soften paint and minimize dust, then scrape .
Chemical stripper to soften, then scrape.

Read this link - Stripping Lead Paint From Steel Structures - It talks about, as it says, in addition to what I'd interpret as 'general info' about strippers. It looks useful, and may help you in purchasing a chemical stripper.

And lastly, some more info ...

To strip paint, use a heat gun, a paint scraper, or a sanding block with course sandpaper (wear safety goggles and a mask). Note: Stripping lead-based paint is dangerous and should be done by a professional. Inhaling the dust or vapors can cause lead poisoning. Water-soluble paint strippers are available that contain less-hazardous ingredients.

Avoid strippers containing methylene chloride and trichloroethylene (TCE) (evidence that these cause cancer in laboratory animals); benzene (known to cause cancer in humans); 1, 1, 1-trichloroethane (TCA) (irritant to eyes and tissues), xylene (toxic by drinking or breathing); or toluene (known to cause birth defects).

Other ideas on getting info might be to visit you local Paint Retailer (found in the YELLOW PAGES under PAINT - RETAIL), like Sherwin-Williams. Also, check with a local Historical Society. And in closing, be sure you have a way to dispose of the stuff. You just can't throw it away. (It may end up in your drinking water ...)

My best to ya and hope this helps

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC