> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > some info...
Login | Register

some info...

Posted by jb on August 17th, 2000 10:16 AM
In reply to Joining /Cutting Melamine Panels by BrianD on August 16th, 2000 04:19 PM [Go to top of thread]

I don't know of any special melamine blades, I have had good results with thin kerf 10" table saw blades with many many carbide teeth. I always get some, small amount of chipping but I keep my finish side down and it comes out great. Contrary to standard procedure, I crank the blade up fairly high so it is cutting down and not across the top face. This will wear your blades out faster on production runs but it is worth it. I have also had decent results with clamped straight edges and skil saws with expensive fine toothed carbide blades. I always cut through masking tape to reduce top side chipout when I use a skill saw. For my applications I edge it with plastic "T" moulding extrusions that I buy from the source at:

I always order the t's a size or two larger than the actual panel thickness b/c the slot for the t is often slightly off center. I then trim it with outwaters trim tool and get a great looking edge. Any small amount of chipping is really not noticable. Since I use a dark wookgrain melamine, I touch up stain any chips or edge that is still showing and clean it with "oops" or thinner.
"T" tools at:

I'm not sure what confirmats are (I've probably used them and not known what they were called) but I know they have a lot of neat connectors at outwater.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC