> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Info ...
Login | Register

Some Info ...

Posted by Jay J on January 13th, 2000 11:06 AM
In reply to Is metal roofing hard to install? by George on January 12th, 2000 06:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

For starters, most municipalities don't allow more than 2 layers of roofing at any time. Weight loads more than that can crush a standard roof. Also, the nails need more than 'shingle' to sink their teeth into in order to hold. (Too many layers just don't support the nail's needs.) So, depending, you may end up having to rip off your roof anyway. Check with your municipality. (FWIW, I've read that metal roofing has been installed over 2 layers of shingles but I don't know the characteristics of the structure or the building code.)

Anyway, here are a couple of links for you to read. I can't "advise" you on installing a metal roof yourself but I can say that there are special tools. For example, the metal may come in a roll and it has to be cut-to-length, and folded, and crimped. Right there, I'd say forget it unless you can get it pre-cut and pre-folded. Crimping the sheets to each other requires a relatively inexpensive tool. (And I say relatively.) Check out the following sites:

Survey Of Metal Roofs and A Discussion Of Metal Roofs.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC