> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Ideas ...
Login | Register

Some Ideas ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on November 16th, 2000 07:26 AM
In reply to clothes dryer by suzanne on November 15th, 2000 08:54 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Suzanne,

From the sounds of your post, the dryer is in the basement. If it is, you can see if you can go through the ribbon board. (The ribbon board is the 'joist' that's on top of the concrete wall. BEFORE you do it, check to see if it's save, or OK w/code, to do. I believe that's where mine is.) Maybe someone can confirm/refute this idea. My vent was already installed when we bought the house ...

A 2nd idea is to knock out however glass blocks is necessary so you can 'frame out' an opening for a vent. You may have to remove 4 blocks to do it. It might be best for a pro to do this for you, perhaps a pro in the 'glass block business'.

If you're considering 'dumping' the dryer's vent into the house/basement, don't. You'll cause a WHOLE new set of problems related to high humidity. (I just had to mention it.) Wait to see what 'others' on the Forum say about going through the ribbon board.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: I know that if you are able to go through the ribbon board, the 'location' of the cut into the board, itself, MAY need to be considered. Hopefully, whoever responds to this will say what's up w/that. (Again, I'm assuming the dryer is in the basement regarding this particular 'idea' ...)

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC