> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Help ...
Login | Register

Some Help ...

Posted by Jay J on March 11th, 1999 01:12 PM
In reply to Laminate or real Hardwood by Susan Kiehne on March 11th, 1999 12:14 PM [Go to top of thread]

The kitchen is considered to be a very high traffic area. Hence, you need to look into flooring that's going to stand up to a lot of wear and tear.

Durability of the top coat is important. You need to get a feel for what will happen to your floor if you drop a knife, a glass, wear high heels, pets, and so on. At the same time, it's very likely that fluids such as water, milk, juice, beer, (I think you get the picture) are going to end up on the floor too. This would mean that if you decide to go with a floor that's either constructed with glue or installed with glue, that it can withstand getting wet over and over. The same thing goes for the flooring material itself. As you know, wood expands and contracts as it gets wet and dries. So, it's really critical to research these typs of scenarios.

Now, depending on the 'type' of laminate you're considering (which you didn't mention what you were leaning to), there's a limit to the number of refinishing jobs you can do to a floor. And if the hardwood floor (or engineered/laminate floor) is in the kitchen, the refinish job is going to take off a lot of 'wood' when you go to refinish. So, I'd look into a floor that can withstand 3-5 refinishing jobs. NOT that you're gonna have to do that many but if you end up doing 2 refinishing jobs, there's room to really grind down in areas that are heavily worn. Don't limit yourself to just laminates in your quest for the perfect floor. There are plus's and minus's for going with Pergo-type flooring, Engineering-type flooring, and true hardwood-type flooring. And remember, some laminates can NOT be refinished! My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC