> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Help ...
Login | Register

Some Help ...

Posted by Jay J -Moderator on March 19th, 2001 09:01 AM
In reply to FINISHING BASEMENT by RICH on March 19th, 2001 01:47 AM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Rich,

There is pipe insulation at the Home Center. Install it with the seam facing DOWN so if there's any moisture it will drip out. The reason for the excessive condensation is either 1) your cold water is really warm and the basement is really cold, or 2) the basement is fairly warm and the water is VERY cold. Insulating the pipe should work wonders. OF course, install the insulation and watch for a while ...

The vapor barrier goes CLOSEST to the FINISHED side of the room. I.E., AFTER you do the studding. Some folks will 'argue' you can ALSO put it on the wall but I know what works for li'l ol' me. Be sure to use Pressure Treated wood for a baseplate IF you're putting any wood on the floor (for possibly trimming purposes later on.)

No vapor barrier is needed for the ceiling of the basement. You actually want the basement to breath a bit. Consider installing a Dehumidifier as part of your project if you have the moisture levels you described. If you already have a sump pump pit, you can use that to 'dump' the water. If not, give that some thought. Otherwise, you're left with dumping the water directly outside. IF it comes to this, you have to be concerned with freezing in the line! It's not as straight-forward as one might think.

For now, my best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC