> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Help ...
Login | Register

Some Help ...

Posted by Jay J on September 7th, 2000 01:44 PM
In reply to Finishing a new pine floor by Tom in Cambridge, NY on September 7th, 2000 01:07 PM [Go to top of thread]

If Henry in MI comes by, he'll give good advice. BUT, I'd like to add that if you feel you're gonna be beating up your floor, consider laying down runners and mats in strategic locations where you'll be doing the most wear-and-tear.

We do have hardwood in parts of our house. We have mats in the doorways to the outside and runners in the foyer and hallways. The most 'normal' damage to finished wood flooring is the 'grit' that's tracked into the house from outside. It's highly recommended you dry-mop and clean the floors once per week. Use the PROPER cleaner for the type of finish you end up having. For example, don't wax a polyurethaned floor, and so on. If your flooring is of the pre-finished type, ctc the mfgr. or Retailer for the proper cleaner.

If and when you are shopping for the runners and mats, I strongly suggest you buy the ones that have the rubber 'backing' sewn right into the carpet. The maximum length I've been able to find is 8'. You can get 'plain carpet' and lay it over a piece of 'loose rubber backing' but the problem is that the carpet, after a while, tends to 'slide off' of the rubber mat. When that happens, 1) you can fall when the carpet slips off, and 2) the unprotected back of the 'normal carpet' can scratch the finish really easily. If you have a lot of halls and rooms and doorways and stairs, I'd make a 'rough hand-made drawing', with measurements between doorways and such, and take it w/you. This way, if you need a 6' runner and a 3' mat and so on, you will be able to 'see' where you can put them. And, as you shop, you can 'check off' the 'areas' where you've already 'filled' with what you want to put on the floor. (In my case, I measured the entire length of the 2nd floor hallway and drew in where the bedroom doors were along the hallway. Then, I measured the 'distances' between doorways and such. The fewer runners and mats, the better.

Other than that, others will say more. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC