> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some food for thought
Login | Register

Some food for thought

Posted by Ed F on May 4th, 2001 08:08 AM
In reply to To The MANY Follow-uppers Out There -RE: The New WEB Site ... by Jay J -Moderator on May 2nd, 2001 09:11 PM [Go to top of thread]

Like many others, I look forward to viewing this site, both for its simplicity, and for the depth/breadth of knowledge. I had a hard drive crash last year, and lost the link to this site (talk about your withdrawal). Fortunately I was able to find it again, and have been participating regularly.

My greatest concern (beyond the bandwidth intensity), is that many of the problems we encounter do not fit neatly into categories - very few things in life really do! If I can draw an analogy to my area of expertise, the medical field - how frequently do we as individuals, have ailments that are caused by seemingly unrelated issues? Is that pain in your stomach caused by something you ate, stress in your work/home, incorrect body mechanics (those muscles ain't as young as they used to be), poor general diet, an infection, an ulcer, stomach cancer - as you can see, the list goes on and on. When trying to diagnose an ailment, practitioners of the medical profession (much like practitioners of most any other trade), must look at the whole picture, and explore many potential avenues before deciding on a cure. If I post a question on this board, at least I know that it's being seen by 'experts' in different specialities, without having to post in different categories - or have to visit your General Practitioner, then a referral to GI, then to Psyc, then to a Occupational Therapist, then to a dietitian, etc., etc., etc.

I originally came here BECAUSE it was different - simple, easy, and helpful. Change for the sake of change is never the right approach. I question the "compete" comment in this post - competition usually means offering a better product at a lower cost. The new site, with all its complexity, hinders participation and has to be much more costly to operate - two factors that contradict 'competition.' If the purpose of this board is to help people, and it's been doing that so well for so long, why change? If it's purpose is to serve as a marketing tool for BV, fine, everyone has to make money. But if you offer less of a product at more of a cost, you won't stay in business very long - right DeLorian, Edsel, etc?

May we all find each other in greener pastures down the road a piece. Thanks for a great ride!

Ed F

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC