> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Some Bad News ...
Login | Register

Some Bad News ...

Posted by Jay J on August 31st, 2000 07:58 AM
In reply to Jay J - Need More Info by Jane on August 30th, 2000 08:01 PM [Go to top of thread]

Ooops! Sorry, for some reason I left my e-mail address out of my Follow-up. On the Forum, you'll find it all over the place. Anyways, ...

Belly paper is a moisture barrier paper. When is was 'in place' and 'working', I'm sure you had no problem. Since it's been removed, moisture is definitely affecting your flooring (as you state.) W/O the barrier, your home is actually 'drawing' up moisture from the outside. Before all this, the inside use to be 'protected' from this occurrance with the belly paper. Since it was removed, moisture is managing to find its way up, through, and INTO your flooring/home.

The bad news is that particle board won't 'return to its original shape' when it's dried out. As an aside, this is why it's not used where moisture may be / is an issue. The worst place for it is up against an exterior wall/floor because of, well, you already know. At one time, did you have your inside floor replaced? If so, no problem. I'm just curious as to what you had under there BEFORE the particle board. Is NOT, then you'll need to replace the flooring. BUT, before you go doing any demolition and stuff, talk to some trailer 'folks' about this. If you get a new flooring, you may NOT want to install a 2nd vapor barrier. (This will 'trap' moisture and be worst than ever!) Perhaps the 'new' insulation with its existing vapor barrier (when 'properly installed'), is sufficient. So do talk to someone who can, well, 'see' what's going on. But I'm afraid you'll need to replace the floor. And when you talk with this 'someone', ask about the type of sub-floor you'll need (and about a 2nd vapor barrier.)

When you get your 'ducks all lined up', you can go from there or e-mail me directly. Depending, let me know in addition to the sub-floor a 2nd vapor barrier as to what type of 'finish floor' you want to have. My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

PS: E-mail me because this post is getting lost ...

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC