> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Snow melt and other things.....
Login | Register

Snow melt and other things.....

Posted by scott on February 6th, 2002 04:10 PM
In reply to Rate of snow melt on roofs by Moderator, Steve on February 6th, 2002 02:21 PM [Go to top of thread]

I live in Chicago,and we get our share of snow.I agree with Chris its got a lot to do with insulation and venting of your attic space.Also how the space below the attic is vented.Kitchen fans,bathroom fans that aren't vented to the outside but blow right into the attic space can cause big problems.Our big concern here is ice damming.The snow next to the roof melts,rolls toward the gutter,when it gets to the eve(which is colder than the roof over the attic)it freezes.Melt...freeze...melt...freeze... pretty soon you have several inches of ice at the gutter. So now where does the water go?Back up under the shingles and into your house!A Water and ice barrier is code around here for at least the first row instead of felt.Watch the news when we get a big snow(12 to 20inches)and it gets cold(below O). Dry wall repair and roofing contractors are real busy.It has been my experience that the closer the attic temp to the out side temp the better.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC