> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > smoke detector problems
Login | Register

smoke detector problems

Posted by C Sabatini on September 6th, 2000 09:22 PM

24 of 54 people found this post helpful

For the last four years I have had a constant problem with my smoke detectors sounding spontaneously for no apparent reason. I have seven detectors that are networked together into my home's electrical system. (They do not have battery backups.) I have dusted the detectors as a couple electricians suggested, but this has not helped with preventing the nuisance alarms. Recently, one of the seven detectors was replaced as we thought it may have been the culprit. (It did not flash when the detectors spontaneously sounded like the other six detectors did.) Replacing the suspected culprit seemed to solve the problem-the alarms did not sound spontaneously for one good month. However, the alarms began to activate for not reason last night at and this morning at 6 hour intervals. I am completely perplexed, as are the numerous electricians I have spoken to. Can you provide any insights as to what the problem(s) may be? Should I replace the original six referenced a!
bove? Could the problem be with the wiring of the detectors and not the detectors themselves?

The detectors I have in my home are made by BRK Brands (also the parent of First Alert) located in Illinois.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC