> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > slow toilet
Login | Register

slow toilet

Posted by Joe on December 3rd, 1999 02:53 AM
In reply to slow toilet by Charles on January 12th, 1998 05:28 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 3 people found this post helpful

I have 5 kids (4 girls) aged from 1 to 21, and a wife… Toilets are a big topic! Of course I approached this problem in the usual masculine way… Try every chemical drain-clearing product on Earth to break up the clog, and in a few days it'll be running as smooth as silk. I started by trying every gentle environmentally safe product available, including one that promised to "biologically lick" my pipes clean (20 bucks). After this approach failed, I resorted to the more powerful stuff… You know… every caustic chemical known to modern man. After clearing the house several times because of toxic fumes, and emptying my pockets of another 20 bucks, I took to the Cro-Magnon approach with large over sized plungers, power drain unpluggers, and auguring snakes (another 30 bucks). This appeared to work until 2 days later when the problem re-occurred.

I then decided to be brave and actually remove the toilet to insure that the drain was not still plugged. After successfully pouring several buckets of water down the drain and inhaling sewer gases for an hour, I decided to take the toilet outside for the real test. Sure enough it flushed a 5-gallon jug of water just fine outside on the front lawn. After several explanations to my neighbors, I lugged the toilet back in the house, installed a fresh wax ring, nice shiny new mounting bolts, and another fill pipe fitting (I broke the original… 10 bucks), and proudly proclaimed to my wife that the problem was fixed. And it did appear to work better until the next day, when the problem came back.

My next step was to ask a fireman friend of mine to drive one of the water trucks over and have at it with one of those power hoses (I know this would have worked too…sigh). But my wife advised me to just go and buy a new toilet. Begrudgingly I complied, and lo' and behold, after installing the new goods the toilet flushed just fine (170 bucks = toilet, caulking, toilet seat, wax ring).

After a couple of days of good operation, I took the old toilet out back and busted it up good with a sledgehammer. In the trap of the toilet I found a nice pointed new #2 pencil (2 cents) jammed with toilet paper. With a little investigation, it turns out that my cute little 5 year old dropped it in "by mistake" and instead of retrieving it, attempted to flush away the evidence.

Total Cost = 4 days + 250 bucks …and 2 cents. Take my advice… Call a plumber!!! .js

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC