> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sloping floors
Login | Register

Sloping floors

Posted by John T on April 9th, 2002 03:24 PM

5 of 5 people found this post helpful

Hi folks! I have a general question about some of my options in fixing a sloping floor. The 50-year old house I am buying has a sloping floor in two of the bedrooms and in the hallway. My home inspector said it was most likely because of:
-- A rather long span (16') with 2X8 material; in combination with:
-- a bathroom on that floor that was tiled with lots of marble; and
-- two airhandler units that were suspended from the joists.

I'm wondering where to begin. It's basically a one-story house in that section. Do you think it would be better to:
-- have the joists jacked up until they are level, or
-- stabilize the joists where they are now, and rip up the floor & subfloor in those rooms and sister in new level joists (then replace subfloor and finish floor) ?

I don't yet know how far out of level we are, but I don't think it's more than 2 inches. (Might be a rolling effect - - valleys alternating with peaks.)
I'm concerned that if I have the joists jacked up, I'll be fixing wall cracks, and maybe window and sliding door cracks too, for a while. But ripping out the floor and sistering seems like alot of wasted material and effort, particularly since the current finish floor justs needs resanding/sealing.

Is it pretty straight-forward to jack up the joists? Any idea on general costs? Is jacking precise enough to give me a nice level finish floor if I do have peaks and valleys (instead of an overall even slope)?
Any thoughts from the pros?

P.S. What category are floor-jackers under in the Yellow Pages?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC