> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > sloping floor, tilting chimney, trying to tell me something?
Login | Register

sloping floor, tilting chimney, trying to tell me something?

Posted by Gian in Chicago on January 29th, 2001 04:59 PM

Hello All,

The answer to this question is something I've been scared to know but I think I finally have the courage to ask.

I bought a 70+ year old Chicago brick bungalow and have been restoring the wood, trim and floors, with help from this site, using citristrip and the procedure outlined by Henry in MI.

I noticed as I was sanding the floors in the last room I redid that there was noticeable slope; one end is lower than the other. This slope is roughly over a crack in the basement wall trough which water flows during very bad spring rain. I should point out at this point that the inspector told me this crack was nothing to worry about during the final walk-through.

Also there is a chimney roughly above all this that seems to lean to one side maybe by 10-15 degrees or so.

I think my question comes down to the difference between 'my house has settled' which doesn't sound so bad and 'my house needs $50k of repairs' which is what I'm frightene of.

I can say that there has been no movement of any walls, floors etc. since we moved in 18 months ago.

Do I have something to worry about?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC