> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Slope = Rise / Run ...
Login | Register

Slope = Rise / Run ...

Posted by Jay J on August 10th, 2000 10:05 AM
In reply to being nit-picky by . on August 10th, 2000 09:12 AM [Go to top of thread]

0 of 1 people found this post helpful

You're Right! The formula for slope is: Rise / Run.

But, what I said was POSITIVE sloping AWAY from the foundation. As per The Old House Journal, I equate my statement to the following statement found there:

Ground: Correct serious ground water problems; capture and dispose of downspout water away from foundation; and control vapor diffusion of crawlspace moisture.

Grade: Re-establish positive sloping of grade; try to obtain 6" of fall in the first 10' surrounding building foundation; for buildings without gutter systems, regrade and install a positive subsurface collection system with gravel, or waterproof sheeting and perimeter drains; adjust pitch or slope of eave line grade drains or French drains to reduce splash back onto foundation walls; add subsurface drainage boots or extension pipes to take existing downspout water away from building foundation to the greatest extent feasible.

Also ...Ground: Control excessive ground moisture. This may require extensive excavations, new drainage systems, and the use of substitute materials. These may include concrete or new sustainable recycled materials for wood in damp areas when they do not impact the historic appearance of the building.

Grade: Excavate and install water collection systems to assist with positive run-off of low lying or difficult areas of moisture drainage; use drainage mats and under finished grade to improve run-off control; consider the use of column plinth blocks or bases that are ventilated or constructed of non-absorbent substitute materials in chronically damp areas. Replace improperly sloped walks; repair non-functioning catch basins and site drains; repair settled areas around steps and other features at grade.

The basis of my saying POSITIVE is because of gravity. Water needs to run downhill. It's a POSITIVE direction - it's draining AWAY from the foundation. Hence, positive sloping (NOT a 'positive slope' )...

Jay J

PS: 'who are you??!'

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC