> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Skim or putty coat on old plaster wall
Login | Register

Skim or putty coat on old plaster wall

Posted by Bruce M on June 25th, 1998 12:14 AM
In reply to Covering old plaster/pain for re-painting by jennifer Ball on June 22nd, 1998 06:41 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi Jennifer
Of all things I have done in and around residential construction, this is one thing I haven't done, but am intensly interested in, as we are looking at a couple of turn-of-the-century houses that have some definite wall problems.

What I have found so far is that skim coating with drywall compound is doable, but if your interest is to keep the wall look and texture original, you really need to have a genuine plaster 'putty coat', applied by a real plasterer. There is quite a nack to put this stuff on the wall correctly, and these guys (at least the ones I've seen) do it all the time and tend to be good at it. Also, if your house is settling at all, might want to consider applying a base fiberglas mesh against the old wall before replastering over it. It'll keep old cracks from opening up through the new putty coat.

Best wishes and please post back on what you do.

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC