> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Similar Problem, but with Plaster...
Login | Register

Similar Problem, but with Plaster...

Posted by Larry on November 14th, 2001 04:23 PM
In reply to Angela! I'm impressed! by Bruce Ridenour on November 13th, 2001 07:13 PM [Go to top of thread]

My bathroom previously had some pretty ugly paneling, which I decided to take down. Unfortunately, there are two problems under there. 1. the adhesive ripped some small chunks of plaster down with it and 2. The plaster is like nothing I've seen before - it appears to be a solid sheet, but seems as though it's been molded into brick-like rectangles. Hard to describe, but there are indentations like mortar on a brick wall. Also, seems like parts of a membrane covering the plaster has ripped off. I assume this may have been a layer to waterproof it? Anyways, I'd obviously like the wall flat to paint, but these indentations cover the entire wall - the rectangles are probably 4"H X 6"W. I figured I'd fill all depressions in with plaster or joint compound, but this would be a humongous undertaking. Also, doubt I'd be able to get the whole thing smooth. But, I'm now reconsidering after reading the above articles, and thinking about using texture in the paint to hide any problem areas. Can I do this over plaster? Do I need to prime the plaster first? Any better way of smoothing these walls out? I was going to drywall, but it is too expensive of an option for me. Please help - our bathroom looks like a war zone. Thanks!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2017 Renovate Your World LLC