> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sikens follow-up
Login | Register

Sikens follow-up

Posted by Joe on April 30th, 2001 11:31 AM
In reply to deck stain by Tim on August 20th, 1999 10:58 PM [Go to top of thread]

2 of 2 people found this post helpful

Some things to consider from my experience with this product. Cost is fairly high. Application is limited to china bristle brush so is labor intensive especially since you are required to apply 3 coats on new wood ! Then you must follow with a maintenance coat every year after !! This is a very strong product wear breathing apparatus when applying or WILL be affected. Make sure you sand any new wood surface to break the "mill glaze" (which is what the factory rep said caused my first use to fail!!) From a saftey point on desks, this product is very smooth, like your high gloss finish on your interior furniture... so is very, very slippery when wet !! even the slightest bit of morning dew will send you sliding...I won't even go on my deck unless it is absolutely dry. From a maintenance point, it is very labor intensive to maintain a yearly application even on smaller decks.. I found that the product builds up in corners and eventually traps moisture under these areas causing the product to blister and fail. In some areas, the cedar has rotted by this traped moisture. The product looks good when applied but the work required to keep it this way and the fact that it is so slippery, I would not recommend this product. My 6 yr old cedar deck is such a mess of peeling and blistering cedar I have been seeking help to find a way to remove what is left and go to a more suitable product. I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT FOR DECKS !!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC