> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > shower door
Login | Register

shower door

Posted by Zinnet on March 13th, 2003 02:32 AM
In reply to Bath fitters shower door shatters by Roger on January 28th, 2003 05:46 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Roger,
I share your views.
A month ago my 13 year old daughter was taking a shower. When she opend the shower door to come out the door shattered in to pieces all over her. Some pieces were as big as 15 to 20cm in length. She had 2 deep cuts on her back, which she needed stiches for, and some minor cuts on the other parts of her body. She had multiple cuts on her feet since she walked on the glass to come out. I also have an eight years old daughter. If it was her instead of the older one the cuts would have been on her head or face. When we complained to the supplier (Woseley) they referred my complaint to the manufacturer (Hy-Line Sales Ltd.) They than blaimed the installer.
Our bathtub is a Hytec brand and it has curbed corners. The shower doors, which is supplied for this shower, is square. With this design when the door is opened, bottom corner of the door hits the curbed bottom. The door tilts and top corner of the door hits inside the brakets. In their design there are 2 little bumpers to be installed, one on each, inside the brakets. My installer did not install these bumpers. I went over the instuctions many times to see how this could have been missed by a proffessionel glass installer. In their owners installation manual and the picture design it is hard to figure it out. Where the bumpers are installed at the top, is actually about an inch away from where the door stops (because of the curb at the bottom). Hy-Line sales is calling it "a locigal step in the process" I do not see anything logical in designing a curbed opening and a square door. If the door tilts to hit the bumpers an inch away would also jump out of the tracks.
In the manual they warn you about not using scouring powders that they may scratch the metal but they do not warn you that if these little bumpers were not installed it may even kill your children. I asked them to make sure this would not happen to anybody else. They claim that their door was not defective. So they are not willing to do anything other than highlight their "Owner's installation manuals"

I also would like to hear from others who share the same experience.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC