> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > SHOWER CAULK REMOVAL
Login | Register

Posted by Pierre on August 23rd, 2000 08:53 AM
In reply to use a razor blade by Ron C on August 22nd, 2000 12:51 PM [Go to top of thread]

Kris, I agree with the comments posted by Ron. After applying the bead it tends to be uneven, therefore a lot of people then run one of their fingers along it in order to smooth the ridges out and at the same time remove any excess. By doing this with a finger, it is a very messy exercise and what I use is a plastic spatula (the ones can you can buy in any automotive shop for applying auto body filler work best). Now, with the plastic spatula, in any of the right angle corners, cut off in a straigth line at a 45 degree angle about 1/4". Now, instead of using a finger to do the job, once that you have apllied one strand of silicone (do not wait till it sets) use your plastic spatula and by ensuring that one rigth angle is flush with the top portion of the bath, push the spatula into the silicone till the other rigth angle becomes flush with the wall, run it slowly down the strand of silicone while ensuring that both rigth angles remain flush (with a bit of pressure) with the top of the bath surface and the
wall and the final result will be a nice even 45 degree silicone bead all the way. Note that while you run the spatula it will remove the excess silicone so you should have a piece of cardboard on hand so that you can wipe the excess off the spatula and continue. This way your fingers do not get all messy and it does a niecer job. During removal, if you do use acetone, you should wear chemical resistant gloves and the area should be well ventilated because acetone is pretty powerfull stuff. In order to extend the resistance to mildew (keep in mind that it will not prevent it forever) after the the silicone has "skinned", which is the inital action of setting, with a rag, lightly apply lighter fluid that you use in a Zippo lighter over the skin. Now, don't ask me what chemical reaction occurs in the skin but although I must admit that I was sceptical the first time I heard of this, I must admit that it appeared to increase the mildew resistance by twice the amount of years. Keep in mind that mildew forms from excessive humidity thereore, if the shower is used multiple times a day coupled with the fact that the part of the world you live in is very humid, mildew will reveal itself much faster than let's say someone who takes a shower once a day and who happens to live in Phoenix Arizona where I am told that the climate is somewhat dry.
Good luck!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC