> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Short Circuit?
Login | Register

Short Circuit?

Posted by Andrew in NY on December 22nd, 1999 11:04 AM

I have a 1958 ranch on Long Island that has soft-insulation 2-wire electric. We recently upgraded to 200 amp service with a new box, but did not have the electrician re-run any of the wiring. I may be doing that as I re-do the individual rooms. Anyway, last evening, my wife noticed that a lamp had gone out. We also have "Scat Mats" (Electrified mats that go on furniture to keep the dog off)plugged into the same outlet, and those were out as well. It seems that this particular outlet, as well as another outlet controlled by a wall switch, are dead. The rest of the outlets & switches on the same circuit are live, but I went ahead and switched the circuit off then on again at the box. The outlets/switch in question are still dead. I am thinking that one of the outlets or switch are bad, and was planning on testing the wires before and after each outlet and switch, and possibly replacing them all (old outlets and switch w/ paint, ugly plates, etc.) My question is, what could have caused this problem? Should I expect to remedy the problem by replacing the receptacles and the switch? We have two table lamps and two Scat Mats plugged into the two outlets (1 lamp and 1 Scat Mat on one outlet controlled by a switch, and one lamp and 1 Scat Mat on the other outlet, which is always live). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am really trying to avoid having to call an electrician so close to the Holidays!!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC