> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sherwin-Williams wanted to screw me and not even buy me dinner first!
Login | Register

Sherwin-Williams wanted to screw me and not even buy me dinner first!

Posted by Paint guy on April 1st, 2000 08:49 AM
In reply to No, No, NO !!! by Jay J on March 29th, 2000 08:44 AM [Go to top of thread]

"He said that the paint you buy at WalMart vs. the paint at the Pratt & Lambert store ARE very, very different"

Isn't that like asking the fox to guard the hen house... show me somw scientific analysis of the paint make up and I'll accept that. The word of an employee... I don't think so.

"He said if the paints were any where near the same, it wouldn't matter where you bought it. Touchette (sp)"

You believe everything you are told? Who do you think manufactures all those private label brands. Many, many name brand companys. For example, in my home town there is a food manufacturing plant Anderson-Clayton. They make salad dressing. They fill the name brand bottles with the EXACT same stuff they fill the no name bottles with. Believe what you will, but I wouldn't go on the word of someone you talked with over the phone.

"Along the same lines, I have friends and neighbors that painted the outsides of their homes, and they are having to paint them
again after just 5 to 7 years. Where did they get their paint? Rickels (out of business), Heckingers and Builder's Square (both
out of business), Home Cheapo (I hear nothing but complaints about their paint, and my 4 year old daughter is a stock holder),
and so on."

My reference was ONLY to Wal Mart and Wal Mart brand paint. By the way, have you lookes at the last Consumer Report issue where they tested paint?

As you can see, I'm a little emotional because I hate when people don't want to pay a pro to do a job, yet, they want to
SKIMP on material when they're saving a TON of $$$ on labor. They ought to be taking some of that hard-earned, saved $$$
and spending it on quality material. That's the ultimate in DIY work.

You think that those quality materials are only found at a place like Sherwin-Williams? You are wrong. You thing price means you are getting quality... not always, because the price can be so jacked up like in Sherwin-Williams. Good example. Minwax Polyurethane on the shelf at the local S-W store is $31.99 a gallon. Wal Mart right next door $19.94. Where do you think I bought the poly yesterday? S-W paint is jacked way up too and so are their other products. Better quality? I'm not convinced and I have S-W and Wal Mart on my house in and out. S-W is jacked up and way over rated. More money do not always mean better quality.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC