> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Shed Roof Questions
Login | Register

Shed Roof Questions

Posted by Andrew in NY on July 11th, 2001 12:37 PM

I am in the process of building an 8x10 shed. I have all four walls framed and up (2x4, 16"oc construction). I have not installed the siding yet (T-111). I am preparing to build the roof, and had a couple of questions. I am planning to nail 2x6 rafters (24" oc) to a 2x8 ridge beam that will run parallel to the 10' walls. I will also use 3 2x6 collar ties (one on each end, and one in the middle) to prevent spreading. I plan to use plywood sheathing (3/4"), roofing paper, and asphalt shingles. No ridge vent is planned (I will install gable vents), and I am planning on the peak of the roof to be 2.5 to 3' above the top of the 6.5' high walls. Here are my questions:

1. Will this roof be sufficient? My township does not specify requirements, just that it be a "safe" structure. I live on Long Island, and snow can be as much as 2-3' in the worst years.
2. How can I create a small (8") overhang at the 'ends' of the roof (along the 8' walls perpendicular to the ridge)? I don't think I can just let the sheathing overhang the last rafters, for fear of warping, etc. I had thought of nailing 2x4s or 2x6s to the outside of the last rafter to provide a nailing surface for the sheathing, but was concerned about sagging. What is the best method for creating this overhang without worrying about the edges of the roof curling, sagging, etc?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC