> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Shed Foundation
Login | Register

Shed Foundation

Posted by steve jones on June 18th, 2000 10:12 PM
In reply to shed foundation by lisa on June 18th, 2000 09:46 PM [Go to top of thread]

Do you live in the country or the city?
Do you ever plan on moving the shed from one location to another?

I just finished building a new updated work shed for my business. This one is in my backyard for my tinkering and storage of tools.

Before I go on too far, I just want to pass along, that there are many many ideas and suggestions on how to build this shed. you need to pick one that fits your location.

My previous floor had a bounce to it and I hate bounce in a floor. My very heavy power tools caused the floor to sag. My first floor had joists 16 inches apart and I had 1/2 inch ply wood laid down double up, overlaping the previous seams for bounce proof, but it still did with all the weight.

Here is what I did for my foundation. I found the level part of the yard and the space that I wanted for my shed. I leveled out the ground manually and made some drainage culverts just in case of high water.

I sat down 6 each 4" X 6" posts on the ground on the 4 " side. They were spaced every three feet parallel to each other. I then build my floor out of 2 x 6's every 10" apart and framed them and simply laid them on and over the ground posts. I was not concerned one bit about fastening the posts or anything into the ground.

My floor consisted of 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood run opposite the previous flooring.

This floor is sturdy, sound, and will hold allot of weight. The opposite laid plywood makes it again sturdy. I screwed each layer of plywood into the joists every 8 inches.

Then I proceded to build my shed on top of that. It works perfect for my situation.

With the 4 x 6 posts on the ground, if I ever wanted to move this shed, I could. With the distance from the ground, I just cut some heavy duty lattice and made a nice skirt from that.

One other piece of advice. My previous shed had double barn type doors that allowed me to get big stuff in and out of the shed. I later found out that the doors were still not wide enough. So make the doors wider than you need now.

Also, have your doors on piano hinges, not regular hinges. Piano hinges will never sag, droop, or foul up. They are really great.

good luck on your shed and let me know if you have any questions pertaining to this post.

Steve Jones in Dallas, Texas

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC