> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > sheathed electrical cable & Coax
Login | Register

sheathed electrical cable & Coax

Posted by Andrew in NY on October 3rd, 2001 08:57 AM
In reply to sheathed electrical cable & Coax by Andrew in NY on October 2nd, 2001 11:38 AM [Go to top of thread]

Jay J & Joe,

I spoke with an electrician, and he stated that he has seen interference before. His 'rule of thumb' is to keep all low voltage and line voltage in separate wall cavities, with at least one stud between them. He was not sure what the exact distance requirement was, but he claimed that he never had a problem following his rule.

He also stated that you cannot co-locate them in a box unless it has a metal divider. In my case, I will be placing a new box on one side of a stud for the 110, and another box on the other side of the stud for the CATV and FM antenna coax.

Joe, as far as the sheathed electrical cable is concerned, perhaps I am using the wrong term? All of the newer wiring in my house is 12/2, with a 'flat' profile wrapped in white insulation. I believed this to be sheathed electrical cable, and it is what I have seen in neighboring homes as well. In talking to my local home center and electrician, they both stated that this was what was required locally.

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC