> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Shaw Laminate
Login | Register

Shaw Laminate

Posted by Mitch on April 24th, 2003 12:41 PM
In reply to considerations by Moderator, Steve on October 1st, 2002 05:32 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Here at our office, we installed an area of Shaw glueless laminate flooring. Within 3 months, the top was delaminating, the chair areas showed circular wear patterns, and there was cupping and chipping at the seams. Shaw sent out an inspector who reported a surface moisture level of around 18%, compared with a claimed normal of 12-14%. We have never mopped the floor, it is above grade, and has never been wet. Granted, it was put into an office environment, not residential, but we fully expected to get at least 5 years wear from a product that would be expected (warranted) to go 15 years in a home. Shaw adamantly refuses to accept any responsibility for the product failure. The manager at the Home Depot where we bought the stuff FINALLY admitted that we had a valid complaint and offered a partial refund on the original flooring towards the purchase of replacement materials. I strongly recommend that you do not believe any claims made about the durability of these types of products. At least as far as the Shaw product is concerned; and while talking to others about the dismal failure of our installation here, I have also heard reports of similar problems with other manufacturers laminate flooring products. I would suggest you not go for cheap(er) and easier and opt instead for REAL wood or other material. Cardboard and contact paper -- no matter what else it might be called -- really don't appear to be suitable for flooring material. I had been thinking of using some of this stuff in my home as it really looked nice when it was freshly installed -- no chance of that now.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC