> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sewer Stench
Login | Register

Sewer Stench

Posted by KatharineV on March 26th, 2003 09:18 AM

Hi. My husband and I just moved into a house (only three weeks) and are experiencing getting to know the ins and outs of the house we purchased. One thing that we have noticed for about two weeks is a foul sewer oder that didn't exist when we moved in (the house has not been vacant for any great amount of time). We are unable to identify where it is coming from. First, a detail that might be helpful to you in figuring out our problem - we do not have a basement. However, we did notice that there is a drain on our floor in the laundry room which we have no idea what it is for (no protective boundry around the drain--do you know what these types of drains are for and where it leads?)--and at one point it seems to have overflowed staining and making our carpet wet too. Also, our bedroom, which is attached to the laundry room seems to hold a sewer like oder close to the floor the middle of the room (we have parquet flooring). Ironically, the bathroom doesn't smell, which is right in between the laundry room and the bedroom. We just can't seem to figure out what is going on. My husband did pour a whole bucket of water down the drain in the laundry room to see if it would overflow. It did not. We have noted the times we have done laundry, taken showers, dishes to see if there was water overflowing from the drain. No signs. Please help us! If it is a vent problem, where would the vent most likely be located? And why the smell through the floor? What do you recommend our next steps be? We would really like to try to fix this ourselves.

Thank you, Katharine

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC