> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sewer Config's & Sewer Gas
Login | Register

Sewer Config's & Sewer Gas

Posted by Health-Concerns on September 26th, 2002 03:46 PM

I haved lived in this apt. building for 2-1/2 years. It has 22 units, 16 that are 4-people capacity. This year, for the first time, I have been subjected to sewer gas.

The vent pipe is 3 feet from my window and it's only 2 feet high, never extending up the 2-story level of the building. This building is facing south on a hillside with a U-shape so that we have stagnant air, or only southerly air. I believe the system was put in 14 years ago.

I called EPA, DEP, and local code officers, and the landlord. I finally got action when landlord installed a Studor Maxi-Vent.

After this, we STILL had the odor coming right from the vent.

I realized I'd just watered (6 gallons) the plants around these pipes. Which I stopped doing. Our last rain was gentle, but the vent pipe is also under an un-guttered roofline.

My question is this: the township said that the drought was causing a backup in the town system. So was my watering the plants a coincidence? I'm thinking cracked pipes, although I'm familiar with PVC pipes and have a hard time believing these things would crack, but there are 2 trees along the line from the building to the street. (I've tried to do some homework on this.)

I don't want to be sick, the symptoms are hard to pinpoint on any one reason (unless I keel over, of course).

Any help? Any way to go on this?

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC