> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sewage odors in house & outside by deck
Login | Register

Sewage odors in house & outside by deck

Posted by David DeBord on February 17th, 2003 10:33 AM
In reply to by terry on February 17th, 2003 07:48 AM [Go to top of thread]

I have a customer who has had several plumbers in to correct an odor problem inside & outside his house. I'm a mechanical contractor & do some plumbing repair.Here are the basics:
1.) Brown County, Ohio made the original plumber install one sump pump for the floor drains in the basement & utility tub. And another sump pump for any ground water working it's way into the basement. Both of these pumps are commonly vented into a waste vent stack (Lol! an automatic wick by my reckoning!!) The pump serving the basement drains lets out a HORRENDOUS ODOR!! While the storm water pump lets out some odor. There are areas upstairs in the house that have sewage odors that occur & are located at erratic times & areas.The outside, areas near both vents is also another source of sewage odor, & the homeowner states that the odor prohibits one from sitting on the deck during the summer.
The solution that I'm pondering on would be:
1) Vent both pumps commonly to a new & seperate vent stack
2) insure that all floor drains are water sealed & topped off with some bio-degradable oil.
3) place 90 degree elbows on the Vents running paralell with the house to prohibit downdrafts (This house has a 6/12 pitch & several offsets with dormers)
If there are any Contractors out there who may have some wisdom to share then please e-mail me.

David DeBord
DeBord Mechanical

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC