> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > serendipity
Login | Register

Posted by aimee on January 16th, 2001 04:32 PM
In reply to Weight Bearing Walls in Attic by roy on January 15th, 2001 11:58 PM [Go to top of thread]

Oh god, Roy, I have the SAME situation. Almost. I just bought a 1947 Cape Cod about a month ago. I love it, but for the crazy things the former owners did. One of them is that their alchoholic son 'finished' the half-story to put a dormer in--his room, presumably so that he didn't have to go homeless. Meow. What can I say, I'm pissed? After our last bout of foot tall snow, our roof is now guessed it...exactly where he put in the dormer. We have a huge horizontal crack where the roof hits the living space. Hey, Roy, check and see if the former owners ever took out a permit to get the work done. Rarely are the half-stories finished with the construction of hte house; usually its an option the owners work with later. Do you have the original plans to the house? Can you get them if you ask the former owners real sugary-sweet nice? We have the plans to our house, sans dormer. The former owners didn't take out a permit to do the work, and, I think we have a good legal case....good luck, buddy! If you want to trade horror stories, email me and my hubby.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC