> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Septic question
Login | Register

Septic question

Posted by gilbert Allen on April 10th, 2001 11:45 PM

There is strong evidence to believe that the drainage field outbound from our septic tank is heavily clogged. Our septic tank was recently pumped (its a yearly occasion now) and with the tank empty there was grey water flowing from the drainage pipe back into the septic tank! It eventually stopped, but I suspect clogging outbound from the septic tank. I have no information on how my system was layed out and have had to find everything out by simply digging - not a real fine option - so my question is this: how far from the septic tank would one expect to find the distribution box (or D-box)? I ran a snake from the 4" drainage pipe leaving the septic tank, and it went approximately 40 feet before it seemed to stop suddenly. Digging up the dirt at the point 40' perpendicular from the septic tank, I was hoping to find the D-box, but grey water slowly started filling my hole at about 3-4 feet. Probing under the water, there seems to be a layer of small rocks, so I am not sure if I am in the leach field or near the D-Box and its leaking, or some other possibility. Is there any way of determining where the D-box is located without digging down 3 feed from the septic tank and following the drain pipe till it ends? It seems like my only option at this point - again, not a real fine option, and not something I am looking forward to.I hope there is a better way.
Also, we are a family of 5 with 3 children ages 11 to 15 living in a 3 bedroom single story house with 1 1/2 bathrooms - if that is a factor in any of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC