> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Select Comfort air matress -mold, mildew and standing water on the hard "box spring"
Login | Register

Select Comfort air matress -mold, mildew and standing water on the hard "box spring"

Posted by Catherine Kirk on January 24th, 2003 01:05 PM
In reply to mildew in a matress by John Bowman on July 25th, 2000 03:23 PM [Go to top of thread]

11 of 11 people found this post helpful

My husband and I purchased a Select Comfort matress and platform (box spring) less than 18 months agao. We noticed we were uncomfortable with the bed. We unzipped the cover and removed the three layer of foam and exposed the two air bladders. They were covered in mold and mildew. (I believe this expalins my ongoing head aches for almost a year.) Under the covering I was surprised to find standing water on the hard plastic surface of the platform. I wiped up the water with a wash cloth and had to wring it out to complete the task.
I called Select Comfort (SC) about this problem (I was very upset, we paid almost $2,700. for this outfit.) The phone rep at SC told me this was normal, all matress have mold and mildew. They quoted a 60 Minute episode about this. I informed them I thought this was a manuafacture's defect since there is no "breath ability" from below that you have with a regular box spring matress, SC's is just a solid platform of plastic.

They told me I had not followed directions and unzipped the matress cover monthly and allowed it to breath. There was nothing in the instruction booklet about this. If I had know that I would have had to unzip the matress monthly i can assure you I would not have paid $2,700 for it.

SC has sent out replacement parts for those parts of the matress that I identified as having mildew. I was told I would have to pay to have the damaged parts return. I pitched a purple fit and they are sending me postage paid lables.

I will keep a diary of our "new" mattress and the parts and the care we give to it. (SC said they would only replace these parts of the matress once.)
I hope this resolves the mold and mildew issue but it appears to be a tedious task for people who purchased the bed under the illusion at it was an easy care excellent support matress.

This monthly activity will be a real hardship due to sever back problems and limited ability to deal with lean and bending tasks.

If anyone else has fhad a similar proble please let me know how you are or had delt with it.

Thank you, CK

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC