> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Securing a deflecting basement wall
Login | Register

Securing a deflecting basement wall

Posted by Bruce M on May 26th, 1998 11:34 PM
In reply to Wall Anchors VS. Steel beams for reinforcing masonry walls by Shana Hunyadi on May 26th, 1998 04:36 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Shana

Both the anchors and steel I-beams will help hold the wall in place, but really have nothing to do with why the wall is deflecting....and you need to know this, IMHO, before you apply a remedy.

Hydrostatic pressure from water that accumulates in the ground behind the wall is by far the most common cause.....and is usually fixed by installing a drain pipe along the inside footing base and well-fitted gutters and downspouts that move the water away from the foundation.

The second most common reason I have seen for deflecting basement wall is the fill pushed back around the below grade basement walls was compacted during the houses original construction, often by the bulldozer running around the foundation 'parrallell' to the walls, instead of vertically to the walls. The shaking of the bulldozer will cause the fill to compress, which will push in on the basement walls. If this is the cause, not much you can do except apply the bracing you have been quoted.

Oh, and for me, ground-to-wall anchors (through the exisiting wall, I presume) into the ground, is the best bet, if they are applied correctly.

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC