> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Securing 2X4's to concrete floors
Login | Register

Securing 2X4's to concrete floors

Posted by Bruce M on December 31st, 1997 08:06 PM
In reply to interior wall by Tim on December 28th, 1997 05:00 PM [Go to top of thread]

1 of 1 people found this post helpful

Hi Tim:

I've done this often, and have developed a method I like and feel comfortable with....

Adhesives like PL-200 or Liquid Nails is ok, but at a later date may decide to move a bit, particularly if there is any kind of lateral pressure and/or it didn't bond well with the concrete floor in the first place.

Explosive charge driven concrete nails is very fast and convenient, but they are expensive, and if the concrete is older (and hard/brittle), the nails may shoot out almost horizontally, often causing big 'divots' out of the concrete floor. Also, after the fact adjustments for mistakes are very difficult or impossible without breaking chunks out of the floor

My preferred method is to drill 1/4" holes with a roto-hammer and use simple 1/4" plastic anchors screwed into with simple drywall screws through the 2X4. It is easy to correct later mistakes, the anchors and screws are relatively inexpensive and they are quite strong. The only drawback is roto-hammers (my preference is the 1" SDS hammer made by DeWalt or Bosch) are a bit pricey (about $200), but on the other hand, it is a tool you will use over and over again in the future.

Also, because the 2X4 is in contact with concrete, be sure to use a pressure treated or redwood 2X4.

Hope this helps

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC