> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Second Story Porch Floor Problem
Login | Register

Second Story Porch Floor Problem

Posted by Dave K on June 29th, 2000 03:23 PM

I have a real mess on my hands. My wife and I built a southern revival house in the Pittsburgh area with 8 foot deep second floor shaded galleries off both the front and back of the house. The construction materials used for these porches were 2X10 joists on 16 centers with a 1/4" per foot pitch, 1/2" plywood subflooring, winterguard sheeting over the plywood for water protection and 3/4" thick x 3" wide tongue and groove fir boards primed and painted with gray oil base paint. They looked great....for one season. Since then, I've replaced numerous rotted boards and had to scape and paint it once a year. When I tear up the wood, it's soaked with water. What is the proper way to handle this situation? Obviously this construction was not the proper way to do it. The porches need to be water tight since I have wainscoting and recessed lighting on the ceiling below for the first floor porches.

I'll take any and all suggestions any of you might have. I realize I may have to rip everything out and replace it with something. I'd like to retain the older southern look but practicality is first choice.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC