> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Seamless gutters
Login | Register

Seamless gutters

Posted by Bruce M on June 21st, 1998 11:52 PM
In reply to right kind of gutters by Pam Wright on June 20th, 1998 01:42 PM [Go to top of thread]

Hi Pam
The choice in gutter material is a matter of personal taste and what would work best on your house. Functionally, aluminum and copper should work equally well, although aluminum, in my experience, will not last as long....not because the metal breaks down, but because it is not as strong as copper and will bend/dent from small tree limbs or snow loads which copper seems to handle much better. On a 95 year old house in a neighborhood of copper, I'd go copper.

Figure copper will run 2 to 3 times the cost of aluminum....depending on the type of hanger brackets you get. Last time I checked, aluminum was going for about $1.60 per foot, while copper was about $4...but thats rolled and layed on your front lawn. Becuase I do my own installation, I'm not sure what labor would cost...but there shouldn't be too much difference between the two...although that's a guess on my part.

BTW, I'd avoid galvanized and vinyl. The first will need to be replaced in 8-10 years or so, and the second is tack-eee.

Bruce M

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC