> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sealed thermal windows
Login | Register

Sealed thermal windows

Posted by Henry in MI on June 9th, 2001 08:55 AM
In reply to double glass window replacement by Jan on June 7th, 2001 12:36 AM [Go to top of thread]

Jan, in a word--no. The "2 pieces of glass" windows are sealed to keep an inert gas, normally argon, in the space. The whole idea with windows is to not allow heat to move from one side to the other.

As I'm sure you know, some materials conduct heat better than others. Aluminum conducts it well and glass does not. For a real-world example, kitchen spoons and such would burn your fingers if they were made of aluminum. They do not, under the same conditions, if they are made of wood, plastic/nylon or other less conductive material. I'm not sure how well inert gasses transfer heat but their job in your window is to keep humidity out so the windows don't fog.

You can take the sliding part of the window to a glass store and have them get and install replacement panes. You do not have to have the whole window replaced.

Check your phone book and ask your friends and neighbors about the window places in your area. It can get expensive, like having a broken part of a car can get expensive because it takes a lot more time and effort to figure out what part is broken, remove it and replace it with the right part than it does to just put the original part on while the car is moving down the assembly line while it's being built. The inert gas has to be in there too, and I doubt that you have a tank of argon in the basement, for instance.

I'm sure that this was not what you wanted to hear. If your window frames are wood, the condensation may lead to rotting of the wood. If they are aluminum or vinyl, you can let it go but the window will be less efficient and that will add to your heating and air conditioning cost. The effect will probably not be any worse than having a teenager leave the doors or windows open anyway, but your windows can get and stay foggy.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC