> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sealcoating
Login | Register

Posted by Mark Cargill on November 23rd, 2001 12:45 AM
In reply to Driveway sealer problem by Chris Miller on July 21st, 2001 05:35 PM [Go to top of thread]

The reason you have the two different textures is quit simple. When they make sealcoat sometimes, the filling of the containers aren't filled with the same batch of sealcoat. This tends to lead to thinner seal at the top of the batch and thicker seal at the bottom of the batch. This causes the inconsistency of the mixture. What I would do is if you really want to improve the look and performance of your driveway, is to
#1 Call around and see if you have a sealcoating plant around you somewhere? I am sure there is one around.
#2 Measure your driveway L X W (length times the width). This gives you how many square feet it is. Then divide that number by 500 this will tell you how approximately many gallons of sealcoat you will need. If it is any amount over 10 gallons than your best bet is to call the plant and see how much it is per gallon to buy from them. (Always cheaper than buying the store bought kind) And much better quality too. I recommend a Star Sealcoat dealer. This is what we have been using for over 8 years. I think its the best in the business. We have tried them all and nothing compares to the quality, looks, and finish. But whatever you buy, try to buy it in bulk. We use 50 gallon drum barrels on small jobs. Star seal ranges from $1.55 to $2.00 a gallon. You do the math compared to the store bought Price Versus Quality. But anyway. Find out how much you need and go get it.
#3 NEVER broom it on. We squeegee it on. And or Spary it on. It gives it a nice smooth finish and definitely a much thicker and better coating. You can buy a squeegee 3-4 foot one at a sealcoat dealer or asphalt pavement shop. Make sure you clean the pavement well. Oil Seal Primer is recommended for oil spots. Then the best time to do it is in the spring after the temperature is at or above 60 Degrees. We live in Michigan so we are a 4 season state. We seal from the minute it gets to 60 to the time it gets down to 60 degrees. Fall is not really a good time. As the leaves and such blow onto the pavement and stick to the seal. Then people try to pull the leaves out and it leaves their imprint in it. NOT GOOD>. But when you squeegee it pour an amount you will be able to handle with the squeegee and just go back and forth with it. Wear shoes you want to ruin as they as you will be stepping in the seal as you pull it. Watch for small stones as they will leave puddles of seal.
To seal against concrete until you know how to handle the squeegee use a small paint brush and brush the edge of the concrete, housing or whatever. then squeegee the bigger part. Use allot of pressure when you go back and forth and overlap the part you just did. till you reach the end. Try not to leave any line's you know what I mean if you use the squeegee. But in the end You will love the appearance and it will last about 2-3 years if you use a good seal and a squeegee.

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC