> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Saw horses
Login | Register

Saw horses

Posted by Henry in MI on January 23rd, 2003 08:01 AM
In reply to Saw horses? by marcelsservice on January 22nd, 2003 07:42 PM [Go to top of thread]

Marcel, they just had a show on the new series with the same people that *** **** used to work with on this subject. I have tried the "portable" ones with the metal connectors and went to new heights with cussing at the broken screws. The plastic ones are not real bad and the space saving is a good feature.

The wood ones that they made on the show--Tommy's design--are cheap and easy to make. It's a 2x6 36" long with both long edges chamfered to 15 degrees on a table saw. Cut 4 legs with the cuts at 15 degrees to somewhere in the 34-40" long range out of 1x6 or 1x8. The length is not critical, but making all 4 pieces the same length is. I'm tall and like to work on surfaces that are a little taller than other people.

Screw the legs 2" back from the ends of the 2x6 on the chamfered sides. Cut gussets out of 1/2" or so plywood to fit between the legs and under the 2x6. Put gussets both inside and outside the legs for more stability. There you have it. As Tommy says, you can usually pick up enought scrap wood from a job site to build a couple by the time you really need them. And if you saw through the 2x6, you can quickly replace it--not that that would ever happen. Maybe he meant if you sawed slightly into the top of the 2x6 often enough--right? LOL

Writing about this type of process gets tough. What I understand may not be what you understand. Let me know if you have any questions. Midnight requisitions from jobsites are not a good idea, by the way, but you might ask during the day.

Henry in MI

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC