> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Save yourselves some time!
Login | Register

Save yourselves some time!

Posted by Jason on March 1st, 2002 02:24 PM
In reply to bathroom wall and tub repair by Karen Baker on March 1st, 2002 01:24 PM [Go to top of thread]

Greetings Karen,

If you and your husband have never done a home project together, Save yourselves some time and go streight to the divorce court now before you spend all the money on the house! (ONLY KIDDING)

If you are going to remove the tile and re-surface the tub, I would probably look at the rest of the bathroom to see what other changes you will want to make (vanities, toilet, floor) and build that into your master plan.

I do not know of anyone that re-surfaced a tub that did not have the new surface scrubb off after a while and look even worse.

You may want consider a tub liner or replacement.

Given the age of the house, If I had another bathroom in the house, I would probably have to gut this one and start over, from the sub floor up.

If the floor was in good shape and the Mrs. liked the color,(guys don't care about color as long as there is a room with somthing to aim at) I might try to get away with installing a tub liner and tub surround.

Finding a liner that will fit over your tub should not be that hard, they are becoming more and more popular. I think I would take a picture of the tub,(Digital or Polaroid,) and the measurments of the tub, (lenth, width, & height), to a plumbing supply store. Now, I'm not saying that I would buy it there without first looking at one of the big box stores, (H D, Lowes, etc..)
to compare quality and price. But, mostly quality.

Both places should have a kit that has both the tub and the surround.

Installing a tub surround is pretty easy because you can remove the tile with a hammer and flat bar, you are not worried about saving them so it goes right along.

You will probably find water damage at the bottom near the tub, you will need to replace this before you install the surround because you will need a good base to glue the surround to.

All in all, it should not be that bad.

Good luck and I wish you both the best,

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC