Ok...maybe I'm freaking out a little late but here's the story.
Purchased an old house. Didn't move in right away so I ripped up the carpet and in the hallway right by the stairs and in front of the door that leads to the mudroom were small yellowish-beige patches stuck on the floor. These patches were pretty hard.
These small patches were spread out and equalled no more that about 7 square inches in area. We were having our hardwood floors refinished so I didn't try to remove the patches because I feared that they might contain asbestos and I figured the floor guys would know whow to remove it safely. Bad assumption!!! the next day I came in and the "dudes" had sanded those hard patches away!!!! The told me that it ripped up quite a few of their sanding sheets but they managed to get it all up!!!
Mind you this was in front of our carpetted stair case. Needless to say i called some asbestos company in town and he told me that he couldn't be sure if that stuff had asbestos in it unless he tested it but there wasn't any left after the dudes sanded it away. he recommended airing out the house just in case it did. Which we did. Now, 1.5 years later I see my 1.5 year old playing on those carpeted steps and it hit me like a ton of bricks that asbestos dust may be in that darn carpet!!