> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Same-O, Same-O ...
Login | Register

Same-O, Same-O ...

Posted by Jay J on September 20th, 2000 07:47 AM
In reply to vinyl siding by jer on September 19th, 2000 07:15 PM [Go to top of thread]

This is a popular question on the board. I'm gonna refer you to some previous posts that, generally speaking, apply to your Post. At least peruse them for a 'bigger picture' of what you're in for.

So, in no particular order, here ya go ...

Vinyl Siding Info I, Vinyl Siding Info II, Vinyl Siding Info III, and Vinyl Siding Info IV.

If you have more particulars, ask away! The most important part of this job is getting it started. From there, if you start off wrong, you hous may look 'crooked'. I suggest you work with a friend, preferably someone who's worked in the trades. No, your question is not stupid at all - It's just a common one. Get vinyl that's at least .042 in thickness. Try and stay neutral in color: gray, white, tan, biege, and so on. (If you go to sell your home, not everyone is 'into' Colonial Blue or Hunter Green or the like.) Read the Warranty AND Installation Instructions BEFORE you buy! A red flag, or 2 or more, may 'pop up' in doing this research (like you can't vinyl-side over shakes, and so on.) Consider, at this time, if you want to add more hose faucets, spot lights, and/or GFCI electrical outlets to the house. (You can buy 'accessory blocks' for these things and install the blocks when you side the house. Just be sure to put the blocks in a 'good location' when you vinyl the house. There's nothing worst than putting in a hose bib block only to find out later that you can't get plumbing to the block w/o a song-and-dance!)

I could go on and on but you should have your hands full. It's good you're doing the research first. It wouldn't hurt to get a few professional bids to see how much $$$ you'd save. You may not find much difference. 2 guys can install 16 squares of vinyl on a home in less than a week's time. You and a friend might take 2 months if you're only working on weekends. (There I go again rambling on ...)

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic History:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC