> Ask a Question > Fix It Forum > Sagging floor
Login | Register

Sagging floor

Posted by bucksfan on July 19th, 2000 10:51 AM

My late 1800's farmhouse has a sag near the edge of the living room floor. If you stand w/your but against the wall, your heels are a goo2 inches higher than your toes. It tapers off gradualy from there, and after about 5 feet you don't notice the change in grade so much. It is only about 4 or 5 feet wide too (as best as you can measure a "sag").

The living room is about 15 x 20 and my desire is just to carpet it and have the floor level enough to allow placement of furniture, etc. It is tongue-in-groove on top of a narrow crawl space (such that I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit!). As luck would have it, the crawl space access is right outside where this dip begins. A quick look showed nothing to be seriously wrong by my eye, just a joist that may need to be better supported. The joists are perpendicular to the wall (they run in the direction of the sag). There is some kind of slab under the whole house, so I think it would support blocking under the joist well.

Any ideas, hints, etc. on what I will need to level this out to an acceptable degree for carpeting? Thanks!

Was this post helpful? Yes: or No:

Topic Follow-ups:

About  | FAQ  | Contact  | Sitemap  | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Help

© 2016 Renovate Your World LLC